Texas Woman’s University is a teaching and research institution committed to providing its students the highest-quality environment for learning and living. Excellence is our measure in all that we do, and that is reflected in our programs, faculty, and staff and our beautifully maintained grounds and buildings.
The University offers outstanding education in the liberal arts, sciences and professional studies, and conducts research to enhance the progress and welfare of the people of Texas, the nation, and the world. The faculty challenge students to think, to analyze, and to voice their opinions. TWU cultivates the leaders of tomorrow and has a proud heritage of providing education and leadership opportunities for women and men. The diversity of cultures on the TWU campuses also provides students the opportunity to look at issues from different perspectives.
Texas Woman’s University is categorized as a Doctoral Research institution by the Carnegie Foundation. The graduate instructional programs of Texas Woman’s University are designated as Doctoral/professions dominant by the Carnegie Foundation, which means that TWU awards doctoral degrees in a range of fields with the majority in professions such as education and health.
Established in 1901 by an act of the 27th Legislature as the Girls Industrial College, the institution began classes in 1903. In 1905 the Legislature changed the name to the College of Industrial Arts. The college grew in academic excellence, in size and scope, and in reputation. The rising academic qualifications of the faculty, the building of a substantial library, research and instructional facilities, and the increasing demand for graduate education for women led to the establishment of graduate studies at the college in 1930.
In 1934 the name of the institution was changed to the Texas State College for Women to describe more accurately the scope of the school. Doctoral degrees were first awarded in 1953. Since 1957 the name has been Texas Woman’s University, reflecting its status as a major institution of higher learning.