International Students

This is an archived copy of the 2015-2016 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Applicants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent resident aliens will be issued the appropriate immigration form required to obtain a visa after all official papers pertaining to admission and registration have been received and evaluated as satisfactory in the Office of International Education , and after an acceptance letter has been issued by the Graduate School.

Before the SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 will be issued, applicants holding non-immigrant student visas must submit financial statements certifying responsibility for all expenses while attending the University. They must comply with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations by maintaining full-time student status during the school year (nine or more graduate semester credit hours each semester).

In addition to application forms and official transcripts, all international students, including transfers and permanent resident aliens, must present one of the following: an acceptable Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 79 (iBT), 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or above; a Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) score of 80 or higher; an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 or higher; a verbal score of 153 (500, former GRE) or above on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE); or a GMAT equivalent to 50th percentile. (An acceptable English speaking proficiency test is required of international students applying for graduate teaching assistantships.) These scores must be presented by the official deadlines published. The following exceptions apply to the English proficiency requirement for admission to the university (certain academic programs may require an additional English speaking proficiency test of all applicants):

  1. Citizens of countries where English is the primary language of instruction and is the language spoken at home and by the indigenous population. See list of approved countries .
  2. Students who have earned a bachelor’s or graduate degree from an accredited United States college or university.

For more information on English Language Proficiency, see TOEFL Requirements . For more information concerning the Test of English as a Foreign Language, visit the TOEFL website or write to:

Box 899
Princeton, NJ 08540

Application deadlines for all international students on non-immigrant visas are March 1 for the fall semester; July 1 for the spring semester; and February 1 for any summer session (F-1 visa holders: summer admittance available only for programs that start in the summer).

To determine status for tuition purposes, immigrants and permanent residents must submit proof of status by completing the Residency Questionnaire .

All international students are required to have medical and hospital insurance. (See Student Health Services .)