International Student Admission

This is an archived copy of the 2015-2016 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

For admission purposes, Texas Woman’s University defines an “international applicant” as a foreign national who is or will be studying at a U.S. institution on a non-immigrant visa. These applicants must complete the international application. This includes students who hold a non-immigrant visa/status and attend high school in the U.S.

International students admitted to Texas Woman’s University usually do so in F-1 or J-1 visa status. It is, however, possible to enter the U.S. on other nonimmigrant visas. For questions regarding immigration status, please contact the Office of International Education at or 940-898-3338.

International Application Credentials

International students should submit all of the following to:

TWU Office of International Education
P. O. Box 425827
Denton, TX 76204-5827

  1. A completed International Undergraduate Application for Admission. The application can be found at .
  2. A $75 international application fee. This non-refundable fee must be paid by check, money order, or credit card in American currency. Checks and money orders should be made payable to TWU and drawn on a U.S. Bank. Acceptable credit cards include MasterCard or Visa. Cash payments may only be made in person at the Bursar’s Office.
  3. Official copies of all transcripts/marksheets of previous college or university course work, or secondary school semester credit hours, diplomas, certificates, and/or national examination scores as given in student’s country. Please see below for specific requirements. Note: all transcripts must be sent in a sealed, unopened envelope. Faxed copies or unofficial copies are not acceptable. Transcripts from foreign institutions may be returned to the student if a written request and a self-addressed stamped envelope is submitted with the documents.
  4. TOEFL test scores, IELTS test scores, or proof of exemption.

Criteria for Undergraduate International Students Admission

Undergraduate students may be admitted if the following criteria are met:

  1. All international freshman applicants must possess the equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma based upon a combined elementary and secondary pattern of 12 years with the equivalent of a 2.0 GPA based on a 4.0 grading scale (“C” average). Freshman students who have the General Secondary Education Certificate, the West African School Certificate, or the Kenya Certificate of Education must present a minimum of 5 passes at grade “C” or higher. If a student has completed the GCE ‘A’ Levels, the student must submit official score reports. The table below (p. 29-30) presents minimum equivalents to a U.S. high school education. Transcripts or other academic records must be presented according to the following criteria:
    • Official transcripts or original mark sheets must bear the official seal and/or original signatures of school registrar from the issuing school. Transcripts must show a current issue date and be sent directly from the school. Photocopies or copies attested by non-school authorities will not be accepted.
    • Certificates issued by regional or national examining boards (GCE, GCSE, SSC, HSSC, WASC, KCSE, CXC, HKCE, School Leaving or other appropriate matriculation certificates) must be official certificates.
    • Official English translations must accompany official transcripts not prepared in English. When an original document cannot be duplicated according to the secondary school, university or examining board policy, attested copies may be substituted. Attestations must be made by the examining board/officer or designated school officials of the school attended. Copies attested by notary officials, translators, or other government posts are not acceptable substitutes.
  2. International transfer students seeking admission to TWU must submit official transcripts/mark sheets from all colleges/universities attended in the U.S. and abroad. Transfer applicants with fewer than 12 semester credit hours of college level work must also submit secondary school (high school) records. The minimum grade point average for admission to TWU is 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, a “C” average.
    • The International Transcript Evaluator will transfer all eligible courses; the TWU academic advisor will determine how these courses will be applied to the TWU degree.
    • English courses completed at institutions outside of the U.S. are not transferable to TWU. Consideration may be given after consultation with an academic advisor and approval has been determined by the Office of Undergraduate Studies.
    • F-1 students transferring from U.S. colleges or universities must submit a Transfer form from the Office of International Education or online.
  3. All international undergraduate students (freshman transfer, post baccalaureate second degree) must present an acceptable Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 79 or higher on the internet-based test, 550 or higher on the paper-based test, a 213 minimum score on the computer-based TOEFL test, or a 6.5 overall band score on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test. Test scores must be within two years of submission date.
    • The following exceptions apply to the TOEFL requirements for undergraduate applicants:
    1. Students who have earned a diploma from an accredited U.S. high school or a degree from an accredited U.S. college or university.
    2. Students who have completed at least ENG 1013 or ENG 1023 (Freshman Composition) with a grade of “C” or higher from an accredited U.S. college or university.
    3. Students who have successfully completed Texas International Education Consortium (TIEC’s) advanced-level program as defined in the information provided by TIEP.
    4. Students who have completed Level 6 of an intensive English program at the University of North Texas or the University of Houston.
    5. Students who are citizens of Anguilla, Antigua, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda British Virgin Islands, Canada (except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, British Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, Montserrat, New Zealand, St. Kitts, and Nevis, St. Lucia, Sierra Leone, South Africa, St. Vincent, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales).
    6. Students who have the following test and scores:
      Tests Score
      APEIL 4 or Higher
      CAE B or Higher
      CPE C or Higher
      SAT II E 968 or Higher
      SAT Verbal 500 or Higher
      ACT Verbal 19 or Higher
      TAAS Reading Scaled score – TLI 4X-89
      TAAS Writing Scaled score 1770

Applicants applying for an F-1 student visa will be issued an I-20 (form required to obtain a visa) after the student has been admitted to TWU. Documents required for immigration (financial statement, passport, etc.) must be submitted and approved by the Office of International Education before an I-20 will be issued. For more information, go to .

International Diploma Equivalencies

Country Secondary Certificate or Diploma
AustraliaHigher School Certificate, Senior Certificate, Senior Secondary Studies Certificate, Victorian Certificate of Education plus Statement of Results A and B, School Leaver Statement and Year 12 Certificate of Achievement
BahrainGeneral Secondary Education Certificate (minimum of 5 "C" grades or higher)
BangladeshIntermediate Certificate or Higher Secondary Certificate
CanadaManitoba High School Diploma, Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma, Honours Graduate Diploma, Secondary School Diploma, Quebec Senior High School Leaving Certificate Grade 12, Certificate of Graduation
CaribbeanGeneral Certificate of Education "O" Level, Caribbean Examination Council (CXC) Secondary Examination Certificate
ChinaSenior Middle School Diploma
Egypt General Secondary Education Certification
EthiopiaEthiopian School Leaving Certificate, Ethiopian Higher Education Entrance Exam
FranceDiploma de Bachelier de l'Enseignment du Second Degre (Baccalaureat)
GermanyReifezeugnis or Zeugnis der Reife (Abitur)
GhanaWest African School Certificate
GreeceApolytirio Eniaiou Lykeiou (Upper Secondary School Certificate)
GuatemalaBachiller, Certificado General de Estudios
Hong KongHong Kong Certificate of Education
IndiaHigher Secondary Certificate (HSC), Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC), Senior Secondary Certificate, Pre-University Certificate, Pre-Degree Certificate
IndonesiaSurat Tanda Tanat Belajar (STTB) or Sekolah Menengah Unum Tingkat Atas (SMA)
IranSixth Year Secondary Certificate
ItalyDiploma di Maturita
Ivory CoastDiplome de Bachelier de '1Enseigneent du Second Degre
JapanUpper Secondary School Leaving Certificate - academic or vocational (Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shomeisho)
JordanGeneral Secondary Education Certificate
KenyaKenya Certificate of Education (KCSE)
KoreaGraduation Certificate from Secondary/Senior Middle School
KuwaitGeneral Secondary Education Certificate, 30 Admission Information
Latin AmericaBachillerato or bachiller
LebanonBaccalaureate Part II (awarded until 1987), Baccalaureate Libanaise (Lebanese Baccalaureate) (awarded since 1990)
MalaysiaMalaysian Certificate of Education
MexicoCertificado de Bachillerato (Baccalaureate Certificate), Certifiado de Bachillerato Tecnologico (Technological Baccalaureate Certificate), Titulo de Bachiller (Title of Baccalaureate), Certificado de Preparatoria. Awarded upon completion of 3 years of upper secondary.
NigeriaWest African School Certificate
NorwayExamen Artium Certificate
PakistanIntermediate or Higher Secondary Certificate
PeruCertificado de Education Secudaria Comun Completa (plus 1-2 years curso Preparatario)
PhilippinesHigh School Graduation Diploma (10 years), plus Associate Degree (2 years at university-level)
RussiaCertificate of Secondary Education (attestat zrelosti) (11 year minimum)
Saudi ArabiaGeneral Secondary Education Certificate
SingaporeSingapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education "A" Levels (GCE "O" Levels must also be submitted)
SpainTitulo de Bachiller
Sri LankaSri Lanka General Certificate of Education "A" Level
SwedenMatriculation Certificate (Avgansbetyg)
TaiwanSenior High School Diploma, or Junior Middle School Diploma with 5 year Junior College Diploma
ThailandCertificate of Secondary Education (Matayom VI)
TurkeyLise Diplomasi, {General Secondary School (Lycum Diploma)}
United KingdomGeneral Certificate of Education "O" Levels, General Certificate of Secondary Education "O" Level
VenezuelaBachillerato en Ciencias or en Humandidades
VietnamBang Tot Nghiep Trung Hoc Pho Thong (Senior high school certificate)
YugoslaviaPrior to 1980 - Matura. Since 1980 - Secondary School Leaving Diploma
ZimbabweAdvanced and Ordinary level General Certificate of Education Examining Board Certificates