Tuition (Subject to Change)

This is an archived copy of the 2015-2016 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

The payment of tuition entitles the student to instruction in the various non-laboratory classes and use of the University Library.


Resident (in-state) students, 2013$180.20 per semester credit hour
Nonresident (out-of-state and foreign) students$534.20 per semester credit hour
Qualifying Oklahoma resident students$210.20 per semester credit hour


Resident (in-state) students, 2013$225.20 per semester credit hour
Nonresident (out-of-state and foreign) students$579.20 per semester credit hour

Additional tuition rates are assessed per semester credit hour for the following disciplines: Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Dental Hygiene, Library & Information Studies, Communication Sciences, Health Studies, Fashion & Textiles and School of Management.

Current tuition and fee rates and a cost estimator can be found on the Bursar’s website at .

Concurrent Enrollment Tuition

Students who concurrently will enroll at both Texas Woman’s University and another state university or junior college should consult with the Registrar prior to enrollment at either institution.

Nonresident Classification for Tuition

Title 3 of the Texas Education Code specifies that out-of-state residents who come to Texas for the primary purpose of furthering their education will be classified as nonresident students. Persons enrolled for more than six semester credit hours during any long semester are considered nonresident students. Persons classified as nonresident students upon first enrollment at Texas Woman’s University are presumed to be nonresidents for the period during which they continue as students. To petition for residency reclassification, the student must complete the Residency Questionnaire and submit it to the Office of the Registrar with appropriate documentation prior to the beginning of the semester.

Tuition Exceptions for Nonresidents

Non-resident or international students awarded competitive scholarships in the amount of $1,000 or more awarded by Texas Woman’s University may pay the in-state tuition rate. Non-resident students who hold appointment as graduate teaching assistants or graduate research assistants may pay the in-state tuition rate provided they are employed at least one-half time in a position which relates to their degree program.

Oklahoma Residents

Qualifying Oklahoma residents may be eligible for reduced tuition from other non-residents as authorized by action of the Texas Woman’s University Board of Regents. This action applies only to Oklahoma undergraduate students. Eligible students must provide two (2) different documents showing physical location of residency to the Registrar’s Office to qualify for this reduced rate.

Veterans Administration Benefits

Texas Woman’s University honors the Montgomery G.I. Bill, the Hazlewood Act and dependent benefits. Benefit recipients are expected to remain in Academic Good Standing as defined in this catalog to be eligible for benefits. Students should contact the Registrar’s Office for applications and other forms.

Undocumented Immigrant Students – TEC 54.052 (A)(3)

Texas law allows certain students who are not U.S. citizens to qualify for Texas residency at public universities. Applicants qualifying under TEC 54.052 (A)(3) for the resident tuition rate will be evaluated under the regular freshman and transfer admissions criteria. Eligibility for residency status may be granted if a student meets all of the following criteria:

  1. graduated from a public or private high school in this state or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in this state; and
  2. maintained a residence continuously in this state for:
    1. the three years preceding the date of graduation or receipt of the diploma equivalent, as applicable; and
    2. the year preceding the census date of the academic term in which the person is enrolled in an institution of higher education.

Excess Semester Credit Hours and Extra Tuition for Resident Students

A higher tuition rate will be charged to any resident undergraduate student enrolled before fall 2006 who, before the academic session begins, has previously attempted a number of semester credit hours taken at any institution of higher education while classified as a resident student for tuition purposes that exceeds by at least 45 semester credit hours the number of semester credit hours required for completion of the degree program in which the student is enrolled, except for those who fall within the exceptions set out in Section 61.059(b), (c), and (d) of the Texas Education Code (shown below). For this purpose, an undergraduate student who is not enrolled in a TWU degree program is considered to be enrolled in a degree program requiring a minimum of 120 semester credit hours. For students who began higher education in fall 2006, excess semester credit hour tuition applies when the student has exceeded the number of semester credit hours required for the degree by at least 30 semester credit hours.


  1. This regulation does NOT apply to semester credit hours earned before the 1999 fall semester.
  2. For a student enrolled in a baccalaureate program under Section 51.931, semester credit hours earned by the student 10 or more years before the date the student begins the new degree program under Section 51.931 are not counted for purposes of determining whether the student has previously earned excess undergraduate semester credit hours.
  3. The following are not counted for purposes of determining whether the undergraduate student has previously earned excess semester credit hours:
    1. Semester credit hours earned by the student before receiving a baccalaureate degree that has previously been awarded to the student;
    2. Semester credit hours earned by the student by examination or under any other procedure by which credit is earned without registering for a course for which tuition is charged;
    3. Credit for a developmental education course or another course that does not count toward a degree program at the institution; and
    4. Semester credit hours earned by the student at a private institution or an out-of-state institution.

Excess Semester Credit Hours Rule for Graduate Students. Doctoral resident students will be charged at the out-of-state rate for all doctoral work in excess of 99 semester credit hours. (Note: Students in Counseling Psychology, School Psychology, and Nursing are charged at the out-of-state rate for all doctoral work in excess of 130 doctoral semester credit hours).

Tuition for Courses Attempted More Than Twice

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board had established the following policy: “Public institutions of higher education may not submit for formula funding credit or contact hours attempted by students who have enrolled in courses containing the same content for a third or more times at institutions since September 1, 2001.”

Note: There are exceptions to this policy as designated by law. For example, exceptions include the following types of courses: thesis and dissertation courses; those music and art courses which involve more advanced content; independent study courses that are not substitutes for regular courses; special topics courses when topics vary; some developmental education courses; and continuing education courses required for professional certification.