Established in 1901 as the Girls Industrial College by an act of the 27th Legislature, Texas Woman’s University (TWU) is today an emerging world-class institution, predominantly for women, that provides a rich tapestry of outstanding instruction and pioneering research, blended with a deep commitment to the success of its students and the provision of the highest-quality environment for living and learning. On each of the three TWU campuses (Denton, Dallas, and Houston), excellence is simply the standard for the University, as demonstrated in the University’s programs, faculty, staff, technology, and beautifully maintained grounds and buildings.
The University offers an array of graduate and undergraduate programs spanning the liberal arts; humanities; physical sciences; social sciences; and education, business, service, and health professions. Recognized by the Carnegie Foundation as a Doctoral/Research institution, TWU awards doctoral degrees in a range of fields, with the majority education and health professions. Underpinning both undergraduate and graduate education, the University takes particular pride in the ability of faculty to provide meaningful intellectual experiences, including multifaceted research opportunities, for students while simultaneously enhancing the progress and welfare of the people of Texas, the nation, and the world. TWU faculty challenge students to think, analyze, and voice their opinions, thus helping to cultivate the female and male leaders of tomorrow. With students coming from more than 50 countries, TWU embraces as part of its mission the need to prepare world citizens who value collaboration in a global society and who respect cultural diversity.
TWU has evolved significantly since its inception, with four name changes over the years to more accurately describe the scope of the University. Although classes had only been offered at the Girls Industrial College for two years beginning in 1903, the Texas Legislature changed the name in 1905 to the College of Industrial Arts. In 1930, after almost three decades of advancement in academic excellence, size, research and instructional infrastructure, and reputation, the College introduced graduate coursework for women. The name of the institution was changed again in 1934 to the Texas State College for Women with the continued expansion of academic programming and enrollments. In 1953, doctoral degrees were first awarded, and the most recent name change occurred in 1957 to recognize Texas Woman’s University's path to becoming a major institution of higher learning.