Master of Arts in Theatre
Total Semester Credit Hours Required
36 semester credit hours, including 6 semester credit hours for culminating creative projects.
- Students are required to maintain a grade point average of 3.0 or better in all courses applied to the graduate degree. A grade of C or below in any theatre course will not count toward the Master of Arts degree.
- No student may begin project work without prior approval of the student’s Graduate Committee. Students with limited experience in theatre may be asked to take some undergraduate courses as prerequisites for graduate courses.
- All M.A. candidates will complete a professional paper of no less than 45 pages in length. The paper will emerge from the culminating project created by the student in conjunction with his or her adviser and professional paper committee.
An oral final examination by the student's professional paper committee of the culminating creative project and paper will be given the assessment of one of the following: 1) approval, 2) disapproval, or 3) revise. If either the project or paper is not approved, the student’s graduate committee may advise
- completion of an additional project in the same focus area,
- a switch in focus areas and completion of a new qualifying and final project, or
- additional course work before any further project work is attempted. A student may attempt Project I or Project II no more than two times each with special permission from the theatre faculty.
Master of Arts in Theatre Program of Study (36 semester credit hours)
|Code||Title||Semester Credit Hours|
|DRAM 5433||Contemporary Theatre||3|
|DRAM 5473||Dramatic Criticism and Play Analysis||3|
|DRAM 5483||Theatre History I||3|
|DRAM 5493||Theatre History II||3|
|DRAM 5521||Theatre in Performance (take 4 times for a total of four credit hours)||1|
|DRAM 5913||Independent Study (Project I)||3|
|DRAM 5973||Professional Paper (Project II)||3|
|The remaining 16 semester credit hours are electives offered by the Drama Program and taken after advisement with the program advisor. Select 16 semester credit hours from the following:||20|
|Problems in Production (Advanced Directing)|
|Problems in Production (Characterization)|
|Styles of Acting|
|Advanced Theatrical Design (Scenery)|
|Advanced Theatrical Design (Costumes)|
|Advanced Theatrical Design (Make-Up)|
|Advanced Theatrical Design (Lighting)|
|Speech for the Stage|
|Special Topics (Stage Management)|
|Special Topics (Sound for the Theatre)|
|Special Topics (History of Musical Theatre)|
|Special Topics (History of Costume)|
|Special Topics (Playwriting)|
|Special Topics (Intro to Film)|