Doctor of Nursing Practice (D.N.P.)
All applicants must meet the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School. In addition to those general requirements, the College of Nursing requires the following for admission to the D.N.P. program:
- Master’s degree with a major in nursing from a program accredited by a nationally recognized nursing accrediting body.
- APRN certification (nationally accredited) or eligibility to be recognized as an APRN in Texas.
- Course in research at the graduate level.
- Current unencumbered US RN and APRN license.
- Certification as an APRN by a nationally recognized accrediting body
- Curriculum vita or resume.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Essay discussing professional goals.
In order to be considered for admission, please use the following application deadlines. These are the deadlines for all materials to be submitted including the application, all transcripts, reference letters, CV, and essay discussing professional goals.
|Semester for Admission||Submit application no later than|
Admission to the DNP program may be awarded on an unconditional or provisional basis.
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 on all prior graduate level course work.
Applicants who do not meet the unconditional criteria, but who have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on prior graduate level course work may be considered for provisional admission on an individual basis. Factors that will be considered in the admission decision are GPA on graduate level course work, scholarly activities, professional leadership, and work history.
Clinical Course Requirements
Prior to enrollment in any clinical nursing course each D.N.P. student must show proof of:
- Professional liability insurance provided through a TWU student liability group policy.
- Current professional licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse in Texas, unencumbered.
- Recognition as an APRN in Texas.
- Current immunizations as required by Texas Law.
- Prior to enrollment in the clinical residency courses, the D.N.P. student must have completed at least 1 year of full-time experience as an APRN.
Students will be required to meet clinical agency requirements such as drug testing, criminal background screening, and hold personal health insurance.
- Grade of B or better is required in all courses. A student who has earned a grade of less than B (C, D, F, or WF) in two nursing courses at the graduate level or who has earned a grade of less than B (C, D, F, or WF) in the same graduate level course will be removed from the nursing program. For the purpose of removal from the nursing program, a grade of less than B is counted as a grade of less than B even if the course has been successfully repeated.
- Students admitted to the doctoral program provisionally, based on low GPA, must complete the first 12 semester credit hours of coursework with a grade of B or better in each course; at least 6 semester credit hours must be in nursing courses. A provisionally admitted student will be dismissed from the program if a grade of C or lower is made in any course during the provisional period.
500 contact hours in the selected area(s) of clinical expertise.
Written analysis of a clinical problem or issue based on current scientific evidence, informatics, and technological advances. The project is not a research project; the project is an evidence-based solution to a clinical problem, or quality improvement of a current clinical problem.
Doctor of Nursing Practice Program of Study (49 semester credit hours)
|NURS 6023||Philosophy of Nursing Science||3|
|NURS 6033||Ethical Dimensions of Nursing||3|
|NURS 6043||Policy, Power, and Politics||3|
|NURS 6163||Health Outcomes: Measurement, Management, and Analysis||3|
|NURS 6313||Epidemiology, Health Promotion, Population Health, and Research in Advanced Nursing Practice||3|
|NURS 6323||Informatics and Research in Nursing||3|
|NURS 6613||Introduction to Clinical Investigation in Nursing||3|
|BIOL 6843||Health Care Genetics||3|
|NURS 6035||DNP Practicum I||5|
|NURS 6063||Financial Management for Advanced Practice Nurses||3|
|NURS 6045||DNP Practicum II||5|
|NURS 6303||Doctor of Nursing Practice Scholarly Project||3|
|LS 5533||Internet Research for Non-Library Science Majors||3|
|or LS 5553 or LS 5363|
|NURS 5553||Fiscal Assessment Practicum||3|