Information for Graduating Students

This is an archived copy of the 2017-2018 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

The calendar of Graduation Deadlines for graduating students is issued by the Graduate School each semester. It is available on the Graduate School website .

A graduation checklist that identifies all requirements and forms that must be completed for graduation is available on the Graduate School website.

Students must be enrolled in the term in which they are graduating. A student who is graduating must apply online for graduation no later than:

  • the 12th class day of Fall semester for December graduation
  • the 12th class day of Spring semester for May graduation
  • the 12th class day of Summer semester for August graduation. (Note:  August doctoral graduates may participate in December commencement only.  August master’s graduates may choose to participate in May or December commencement. If participating in the May commencement, students must apply by the May graduation deadline. The term ‘graduation’ refers to degree completion and conferral; the ceremony is called ‘commencement’.  Although students completing  master’s degrees in August may elect to participate in May commencement, they do not graduate until August.)

A student cannot apply for graduation while on academic probation. A student must clear her or his probationary status during her or his next semester of enrollment, during which she or he can apply for early deadline or apply for the following semester's graduation date.

Late applications for graduation are not accepted. Applications must be received by the deadline in order to start the audit approval processes.  Students that do not meet the deadline may consider early deadline to save on enrollment costs for the next semester.

A student cannot graduate with a grade of Incomplete on her or his transcript.  This applies even if the 'I' grade is in a course unrelated to the student's degree plan.

If a student who has applied to graduate determines he or she is not able to meet the submission deadline, which is the last day to file documents required for graduation with the Graduate School, then he or she may request to 'rollover' his or her application for graduation to a future semester by submitting the Rollover Form , available on the Graduate School website.  This request must be completed by the 'rollover' deadline which is two weeks prior to the submission deadline.  By meeting the 'rollover' deadline, the student does not have to reapply for graduation or pay another application fee.  After the 'rollover' deadline, any student who is unable to meet the submission deadline must reapply online for graduation and pay another application fee.  A student may request to 'rollover' her or his application twice.  After two 'rollovers' have been granted, any failure to meet the submission deadline will result in the student being removed from the graduation list and will require the student to reapply for graduation and pay another application fee.

The State of Texas requirement that a student be enrolled in the term in which she or he is graduating may be waived only if all the following criteria are met on or before the Friday prior to the start date of the next term:

  • All degree requirements must be met;
  • An Early Deadline form must be submitted to the Graduate School;
  • All forms and documents, including thesis or dissertation if applicable, must be submitted to and approved by the Graduate School;
  • An application for graduation must be submitted for the graduating semester, which is the next term, and the application fee must be paid.

The student will have their degree conferred at the end of that semester.  Students can request, in writing, a letter of completion from the Graduate School stating that all degree requirements have been met along with the official date the degree will be conferred.  In addition, the request for a letter of completion must include:

  1. the student's name and ID number;
  2. the names and addresses where the letter is to be sent; and
  3. a request that a copy be sent to the student via email or hard copy.

Commencement Ceremonies

Denton commencement ceremonies are held in Pioneer Hall, located on TWU's main campus at 304 Administration Drive, Denton, TX 76204. Pioneer Hall is on Bell Avenue, just north of Administration drive.

Houston's commencement ceremonies are negotiated each semester.  Notification to graduating students is published prior to the event.


When students apply for graduation, they are placed on an order list to receive a diploma.  The diplomas are ordered after the rollover deadline each term (Fall, Spring, Summer).  Failing to rollover will require a new application and application fee for graduation as the diploma will have the wrong graduation information.

Diplomas are ordered from an outside source and are typically received in the Graduate School about four weeks following commencement. Diplomas are sent to students after the degree audit has been satisfied and confirmation that all financial obligations to the university have been met (including library and parking fines). Diplomas are generally mailed four to five weeks after degrees have been posted to the student's transcript.  Student's are responsible to provide an accurate mailing address to the Graduate School.