This is an archived copy of the 2017-2018 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit http://catalog.twu.edu.

Each Ph.D. and Ed.D. candidate must write a dissertation based upon an investigation which makes an original contribution to the literature and research of the student’s discipline. The Dean of the Graduate School appoints the dissertation director upon recommendation of the chair and/or dean of the college of the doctoral major. In final form, the dissertation must be approved by the student’s committee, specified administrators of the appropriate college or school, and the Dean of the Graduate School.

Prospectus approval is required by the Research Committee; the department chair, director, or associate dean; dean of the college (if required); and the Dean of the Graduate School, prior to the student beginning research for a dissertation (even if IRB approval is not required). A notification will be sent to the student and copied to the research committee chair.  The study may then be implemented.

To secure semester credit hours for work done on the dissertation, the student must register for this work. When “Dissertation’’ appears on the schedule, it is counted as three or six semester credit hours in determining both load, tuition, and fees.  Dissertation requires a minimum of six credit hours to a maximum of eighteen credit hours, to be established by program requirements and shown on the student's degree plan.  Any additional enrollments will be for (PR) in progress and will not receive credit.

Enrolled graduate students may use the computer and research consulting services of the Center for Research Design and Analysis (CRDA) in the preparation of their professional papers, theses, and dissertations. The center also provides assistance with qualitative and quantitative research designs. Student's may also access the services of the Pioneer Center for Student Excellence  and the Write Site .

The grade of PR will be assigned to indicate a dissertation is in progress. A student writing a dissertation for six semester credit hours will be given CR (Credit) for the first enrollment (usually 6983) and PR (In Progress) for all subsequent enrollments (usually 6993) until the last, for which CR will be given again. A student writing a dissertation for twelve semester credit hours will be given CR for the first two enrollments, usually the completion of the prospectus (6983) and for the last two enrollments (usually 6993) and PR for enrollments in between.

Only an officially registered student may hold conferences with faculty concerning the preparation of a dissertation. This rule applies both to the student in actual residence and to the student not in residence who is receiving aid or guidance through conferences or correspondence. This rule does not apply to preliminary conferences held before the dissertation subject has been selected. Registration for dissertation in one term is good for that term only and does not extend to the next term.

Digital submission of the student's dissertation  must be completed no later than the filing date listed in the Graduate School “Graduation Deadlines .’’ One or more bound copies at the expense of the student, may be required by the student's major department. Copyright ownership of theses and dissertations is retained by the student, but the student must grant to TWU royalty-free permission to reproduce and publicly distribute copies of the thesis or dissertation. In circumstances where the research for the thesis or dissertation has been done in conjunction with other policies discussed in the Texas Woman’s University Policy on Intellectual Property, those policies will apply with regard to the students.

All dissertations are uploaded to Texas Digital Library (TDL) and ProQuest and are included in Dissertation Abstracts International. The student pays for microfilming at the time of filing the dissertation and abstract in the Graduate School.  Copyrighting, which remains optional, may be secured during the submission process for an additional fee. Details concerning the abstracts, microfilming, copyrighting, and their fees are available in the Graduate School.

Students are urged to consult the Graduate School publications Guide to the Preparation and Processing of Dissertations, Theses, and Professional Papers  and Formatting Navigator for additional information. (See also Policies and Guidelines for Graduate Students: General Requirements and Regulations for Doctoral Degrees , Committees on Dissertations, Theses, and Professional Papers .)