Other Types of Undergraduate Admission

This is an archived copy of the 2017-2018 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit http://catalog.twu.edu.

High School Advantage Program (Dual Credit Enrollment)

The High School Advantage program allows students to earn college semester credit hours while still in high school. Current eligible high school students may apply for dual credit enrollment in this program. 

In order to apply, a student must submit:

  1. High School Advantage permission form signed by the student, a parent/guardian, and the high school principal or guidance counselor,
  2. ApplyTexas application.
  3. Official high school transcript,
  4. $50.00 application fee, and
  5. Official documents demonstrating TSI college readiness standards.

These forms should be submitted to the Office of Admissions Processing .

Undocumented Immigrant Students – TEC 54.052 (formerly known as HB1403 – Senate Bill 1528)

Texas law allows certain students who are not U.S. citizens to qualify for Texas resident tuition rates at public universities. This law became effective with students applying for the fall 2001 semester. This statute is a tuition residency classification, not an admissions policy. Students applying under it will be evaluated under the regular freshman and transfer admissions criteria.

A special residency status may be granted if a student meets all of the following criteria:

  1. Has graduated or will graduate from a Texas high school or received a GED certificate, and
  2. Has resided in Texas during the three years prior to graduation or receiving a GED, and
  3. Has resided or will have resided in Texas 12 months prior to the census date of the semester enrolled at a college/university, and
  4. Will provide a notarized affidavit stating that the student will file an application to become a permanent resident as soon as possible.

Military Admission

Applicants with previous military experience will need to complete an undergraduate application.  In order to be considered a transfer student, an applicant must have a combination of military credit and college-level credit that equals 12 or more credit hours with a 2.0 GPA or higher. Former military applicants who have not taken any college-level coursework should apply for freshman admission.

Students who withdraw from the university to perform active military service will need to reapply for admission however the application fee will be waived. To qualify for readmission the applicant must contact TWU within 90 days upon completion of active duty and submit a copy of the military orders calling the student to active duty.

Military Credit

Texas Woman’s University follows, with limitations, the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) as published in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces in granting credit for military service.  The University follows HB 269 in awarding credit for military service.  Eligible veterans receive college credit for all the required physical education courses needed for their degree and not to exceed an additional 12 semester hours of elective coursework.  To be eligible to receive credit for military service, veterans must have:

  • Graduated from a public or private high school accredited by a generally recognized-accrediting organization or from a high school operated by the U.S. Department of Defense
  • Completed a minimum of two years of service in the armed services (unless discharged because of a disability).
  • Been honorably discharged from the U.S. armed forces.

Credit for military service is available to all entering undergraduates, those applying for transfer admission, freshman admission, or for readmission.  In deciding whether to claim this credit, students should review all policies concerning tuition rebate and excess credit hours.

For consideration of credit for military service schools, the applicant may submit one or a combination of the following military records:

  1. A certified original of the DD Form 295, or
  2. A copy of the DD Form 214, or
  3. Course completion certificates.
  4. Army ACE Registry Transcript System (AARTS)
  5. Sailor/Marine ACE Registry Transcript System (SMARTS)
  6. Joint Service Transcript (JST)

Non-degree Admission

Applicants who are not seeking a bachelor’s degree but who wish to take credit courses must submit an ApplyTexas application, an application fee and an official transcript from the last institution attended. Applicants must be in good standing with their last institution attended, and have earned at least a 2.0 GPA on their last 12 transferable hours attempted. Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for federal, state, or institutional financial assistance, other than emergency tuition loans. Non-degree students may earn no more than 30 credit hours at TWU before they will be required to reapply as a degree-seeking student.

Permanent Residents

Applicants who are permanent residents must submit a copy of their Permanent Resident card at the time that they apply for admission to the Office of Admissions Processing . Applicants who have applied for permanent residency but have not yet received the INS form Notice of Action I-797 verifying approval will be considered international students and must meet all international requirements until a permanent resident card has been issued.

Post-Baccalaureate Students Seeking a Second Degree

Applicants who are seeking a second undergraduate degree must submit a completed ApplyTexas application for transfer admission, official transcript(s) from each institution attended (including verification of the bachelor degree awarded), and the application fee. Admission to the University does not imply admission to a specific college, program, or major. Students should contact the specific academic department for admission information.


Students who have attended TWU in the past as an undergraduate student may be eligible for undergraduate readmission. Readmission applicants are expected to meet the regular criteria for transfer admission. Additional requirements may apply if good academic standing was not maintained during prior TWU enrollment. Please refer to Academic Advising for more information.

Readmission as a transfer is required if: (1) an applicant previously accepted as a freshmen, takes 12 or more college-level semester credit hours at another institution prior to returning to TWU; or (2) a former or accepted TWU student has 12 or more college-level semester credit hours, but has not enrolled within two long terms.  Readmission applicants may submit an application for transfer admission at ApplyTexas  and pay the application fee; if the applicant attended another institution since his/her last enrollment at TWU, an official transcript from each institution must be submitted to the Office of Admissions Processing.

Applications for readmission should be completed and submitted via ApplyTexas at least two weeks prior to registration to ensure adequate processing and notification. Individual TWU schools, colleges, or programs may have additional readmission requirements. Students should contact the specific academic departments for readmission information.

Please note, a readmission is not required in the following circumstances: (1) it has been less than two long terms since the applicant’s term of acceptance and/or enrollment at TWU, and another university/college was not attended during that time; (2) the applicant has taken courses at another university/college while concurrently enrolled in courses at TWU; or the applicant has taken courses at another university/college during a short term (Maymester/Summer/Wintermester) while being enrolled at TWU during both Spring and Fall terms.