International Student Admission

This is an archived copy of the 2020-2021 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

For admission purposes, Texas Woman’s University defines an “international applicant” as a foreign national who is or will be studying at a U.S. institution on a non-immigrant visa. This includes applicants who hold asylum, refugee, temporary protected status and are a pending U.S. permanent resident.  For questions regarding immigration status, please contact International Student and Scholar Services.

Applicants should submit an international undergraduate application along with a nonrefundable $75 application fee.  The admission application can be found at ApplyTexas.  The application fee applies to all applicants (new and returning) and can be paid by:

  • Credit card online through ApplyTexas prior to submitting the application.
  • U.S. certified check or money order payable to Texas Woman's University and mailed to the Office of Admissions Processing.  The applicant's full name, date of birth, and TWU student identification number must be included.
  • Cash (no personal checks) at the Bursar's Office.

International Application Credentials

Applicants should submit all required admission documents and test scores to the Office of Admissions Processing. See International Admissions Requirements for a list of document requirements, including document format requirements and application deadlines. Country specific requirements are provided upon receipt of an ApplyTexas admission application.

All international and permanent resident applicants must also provide proof of English language proficiency by submitting an official score report for one of the following English language tests:

  • TOEFL (iBT) test score of 79 or higher,
  • IELTS overall band score of 6.5 or higher,
  • PTE Academic score of 53 or above, or
  • Submit a request for exemption if one of the approved exemptions on the TOEFL Exemption form have been met.

Criteria for Undergraduate International Admission

Undergraduate applicants may be considered for admission if the following criteria are met:

International First-Year Applicants

  • Applicants who have completed the equivalent of a U.S. high school education in their home country and have not earned any post-secondary credit or earned less than 12 transferable credit hours.
  • Applicants who have earned at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale (after conversion to U.S. scale if applicable).
  • Applicants who have the General Secondary Education Certificate, the West African School Certificate, the Kenya Certificate of Education or comparable Senior Certificate must present a minimum of 5 passes at grade “C” or higher after conversion to U.S. scale (subjects must include English, Math, and Science).
  • If graduating from a U.S. high school see Office of Admission first-year admissions requirements.
  • The table below presents minimum equivalents to a U.S. high school education. The table is not all-inclusive.

International Transfer Admissions

  • Applicants who have earned 12 or more transferable credit hours.
  • Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (after conversion to U.S. scale if applicable).

The Office of Admissions Processing will transfer all eligible courses; the TWU academic advisor will determine how these courses will be applied to the TWU degree. Courses must be completed at a regionally accredited university or college or equivalent foreign institution in order to be an eligible transfer course. Coursework taken at an unaccredited or non-regionally accredited institution will be evaluated independently.

English courses completed at institutions outside of the U.S. are not transferable to TWU. Consideration may be given after consultation with an academic advisor and approval has been determined by the Office of Undergraduate Studies.

Applicants applying for an F-1 student visa will be issued an I-20 (form required to obtain the student visa) after the applicant has been admitted to TWU.  Documents required for the I-20 (financial statement, passport, etc.) must be submitted and approved by International Student and Scholar Services before an I-20 will be issued. F-1 applicants transferring from U.S. colleges or universities must submit a Transfer Clearance form to the International Student and Scholar Services.  In addition, F-1 visa holders:

  • Are not eligible to enroll in a TWU non-degree seeking, certification, or fully online degree program.
  • Must comply with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations by maintaining full-time student status during the school year (12 or more undergraduate semester credit hours each semester).
  • Must meet the International Student and Scholar Services immigration deadlines.

For more information, refer to International Student and Scholar Services website.  

To determine status for tuition purposes, applicants must submit proof of Texas residency by completing the Residency Questionnaire.

All international students are required to have medical and hospital insurance (see Student Health Services).

International Student and Scholar Services

Applicants should contact the office of International Student and Scholar Services to obtain information regarding document requirements for issuance of an I-20, F1 visa holder restrictions, and other visa-related questions.

Office of International Student and Scholar Services
P. O. Box 425827
Denton, TX 76204-5649
phone: 940-TWU-3338 or 1-866-809-6130 

International Secondary Diploma Equivalencies

Country Secondary Certificate or Diploma
Australia Higher School Certificate, Senior Certificate, Senior Secondary Studies Certificate, Victorian Certificate of Education plus Statement of Results A and B, School Leaver Statement and Year 12 Certificate of Achievement
Bahrain General Secondary Education Certificate (minimum of 5 "C" grades or higher)
Bangladesh Intermediate Certificate or Higher Secondary Certificate
Canada Manitoba High School Diploma, Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma, Honours Graduate Diploma, Secondary School Diploma, Quebec Senior High School Leaving Certificate Grade 12, Certificate of Graduation
Caribbean General Certificate of Education "O" Level, Caribbean Examination Council (CXC) Secondary Examination Certificate
China Senior Middle School Diploma
Colombia Bachillerato
Egypt General Secondary Education Certification
Ethiopia Ethiopian School Leaving Certificate, Ethiopian Higher Education Entrance Exam
France Diploma de Bachelier de l'Enseignment du Second Degre (Baccalaureat)
Germany Reifezeugnis or Zeugnis der Reife (Abitur)
Ghana West African School Certificate
Greece Apolytirio Eniaiou Lykeiou (Upper Secondary School Certificate)
Guatemala Bachiller, Certificado General de Estudios
Hong Kong Hong Kong Certificate of Education
India Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC), Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC), Senior Secondary Certificate, Pre-University Certificate, Pre-Degree Certificate
Indonesia Surat Tanda Tanat Belajar (STTB) or Sekolah Menengah Unum Tingkat Atas (SMA)
Iran Sixth Year Secondary Certificate
Italy Diploma di Maturita
Ivory Coast Diplome de Bachelier de '1Enseigneent du Second Degre
Japan Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate - academic or vocational (Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shomeisho)
Jordan General Secondary Education Certificate
Kenya Kenya Certificate of Education (KCSE)
Korea Graduation Certificate from Secondary/Senior Middle School
Kuwait General Secondary Education Certificate, 30 Admission Information
Latin America Bachillerato or bachiller
Lebanon Baccalaureate Part II (awarded until 1987), Baccalaureate Libanaise (Lebanese Baccalaureate) (awarded since 1990)
Malaysia Malaysian Certificate of Education
Mexico Certificado de Bachillerato (Baccalaureate Certificate), Certifiado de Bachillerato Tecnologico (Technological Baccalaureate Certificate), Titulo de Bachiller (Title of Baccalaureate), Certificado de Preparatoria. Awarded upon completion of 3 years of upper secondary.
Nigeria West African School Certificate
Norway Examen Artium Certificate
Pakistan Intermediate or Higher Secondary Certificate
Peru Certificado de Education Secudaria Comun Completa (plus 1-2 years curso Preparatario)
Philippines High School Graduation Diploma (10 years), plus Associate Degree (2 years at university-level)
Russia Certificate of Secondary Education (attestat zrelosti) (11 year minimum)
Saudi Arabia General Secondary Education Certificate
Singapore Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education "A" Levels (GCE "O" Levels must also be submitted)
Spain Titulo de Bachiller
Sri Lanka Sri Lanka General Certificate of Education "A" Level
Sweden Matriculation Certificate (Avgansbetyg)
Taiwan Senior High School Diploma, or Junior Middle School Diploma with 5 year Junior College Diploma
Thailand Certificate of Secondary Education (Matayom VI)
Turkey Lise Diplomasi, {General Secondary School (Lycum Diploma)}
United Kingdom General Certificate of Education "O" Levels, General Certificate of Secondary Education "O" Level
Venezuela Bachillerato en Ciencias or en Humandidades
Vietnam Bang Tot Nghiep Trung Hoc Pho Thong (Senior high school certificate)
Yugoslavia Prior to 1980 - Matura. Since 1980 - Secondary School Leaving Diploma
Zimbabwe Advanced and Ordinary level General Certificate of Education Examining Board Certificates