If you are looking for a program that gives you the expertise to manage, organize, analyze, and present complex data in the rapidly changing business environment, the MBA-Business Analytics is for you! The Business Analytics emphasis builds your skills in analyzing and solving problems in diverse disciplines including healthcare, marketing, accounting, finance, economics, and human resources management. It emphasizes experiential learning in data mining, statistics, and information systems. As data analysts, our graduates support top-level executives by providing data summarized and analyzed in ways that allow decision-makers to act decisively to implement business strategies in a dynamic business environment. Our degree pathway also prepares students to seek external professional certifications, which are available through various organizations such as SAS.
Defined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's 60x30 Strategic Plan as, "Those skills valued by employers that can be applied in a variety of work settings, including interpersonal, cognitive, and applied skills areas. These skills can be either primary or complementary to a major and are acquired by students through education, including curricular, co-curricular, and extracurricular activities."
- Critical Thinking: M.B.A. Specific Application - Solving problems by applying knowledge to cases and challenges in organizations. General Employment Application - Using feedback from employees, environment, benchmarking, and innovation to generate multiple solutions, creative ideas, and effective strategies and to understand the industry/general environment.
- Diversity: M.B.A. Specific Application - Grasp knowledge of theory and legal statutes pertaining to workplace discrimination and diversity. General Employment Application - Implement fair selection practices and equal employee treatment while leveraging the benefits of workplace diversity.
- Ethical Reasoning: M.B.A. Specific Application - Recognize and solve ethical dilemmas from assigned cases and grasp theory of ethics in the workplace. General Employment Application - Make ethical decisions and create or support an ethical organizational climate.
- Teamwork: M.B.A. Specific Application - Work with teams on projects and/or grasp concepts related to group dynamics. General Employment Application - Ability to work with teams in a workplace setting and effectively manage workgroups. Vital components of successful teamwork include learning and applying methods for group creation, role formation, successful team communication, team management, and the ability to produce results.
All students must meet the University requirements as outlined in the Admission to the TWU Graduate School section of the catalog.
This academic program may have additional admission criteria that must also be completed as outlined on the program's website.
Total Semester Credit Hours Required
39-48 Semester credit hours (SCH).
- Students should complete ACCT 5433, prior to enrolling in FIN 5243.
- Students must have successfully completed ACCT 5433 , FIN 5243 , MGT 5263 , MGT 5663, and MKT 5133 before attempting MGT 5893 . (In earlier catalogs these courses used the BUS prefix).
- MGT 5893 is the Capstone course in the M.B.A. program and focuses on executive-level decision-making that guides the organization in its interactions with the internal and external environments. It involves synthesis of the various functional silos of the business discipline and comprehensive business case analysis for proposed or actual companies.
|Proficiency Courses (may be waived)||0-9|
|Foundations in Business|
|Foundations of Financial Management|
|Required Courses for M.B.A. major|
|ACCT 5433||Managerial Accounting||3|
|BUS 5923||Global Business||3|
|BUS 5933||Business Ethics and Legal Environment||3|
|FIN 5243||Managerial Finance||3|
|MGT 5263||Organizational Behavior in Business Administration||3|
|MGT 5663||Decision Analysis for Managers||3|
|MKT 5133||Marketing Management||3|
|MGT 5893||Business Strategy and Policy (Capstone, must be taken in final semester.)||3|
|Required Courses for emphasis in Business Analytics|
|CSCI 5103||Fundamentals of Informatics||3|
|MGT 5683||Business Decision Process||3|
|MGT 5693||Enterprise Applications of Business Intelligence||3|
|MGT 5763||Strategic Information Systems||3|
|MKT 5153||Research Methods in Business||3|