The M.B.A. in Sport Management is an accelerated master's degree that allows students to build analytical and managerial skills in both Business and Sport. Our program prepares future sport leaders and managers who understand the role and importance of the sport business in the global economy. In a collaborative environment employing online learning combined with experiential learning and faculty mentoring, students have opportunities to serve the sport industry in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, build relationships with professionals in the area, and develop a long-term career network. If you love sports, and your career goals include working alongside sports teams and athletes, the M.B.A. in Sport Management is for you!
We also offer a five-year Master's program: a dual degree, B.S. in Kinesiology/M.B.A. in Sport Management. For information please refer to the TWU undergraduate catalog.
Defined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's 60x30 Strategic Plan as, "Those skills valued by employers that can be applied in a variety of work settings, including interpersonal, cognitive, and applied skills areas. These skills can be either primary or complementary to a major and are acquired by students through education, including curricular, co-curricular, and extracurricular activities."
- Critical Thinking: M.B.A. Specific Application - Solve problems by applying knowledge to cases and challenges in organizations. General Employment Application - Using feedback from employees, environment, benchmarking, and innovation to generate multiple solutions, creative ideas, and effective strategies and to understand the industry/general environment.
- Diversity: M.B.A. Specific Application - Grasp knowledge of theory and legal statutes pertaining to workplace discrimination and diversity. General Employment Application - Implement fair selection practices and equal employee treatment while leveraging the benefits of workplace diversity.
- Ethical Reasoning: M.B.A. Specific Application - Recognize and solve ethical dilemmas from assigned cases and grasp theory of ethics in the workplace. General Employment Application - Make ethical decisions and create or support an ethical organizational climate.
- Teamwork: M.B.A. Specific Application - Work with teams on projects and/or grasp concepts related to group dynamics. General Employment Application - Ability to work with teams in a workplace setting and effectively manage workgroups. Vital components of successful teamwork include learning and applying methods for group creation, role formation, successful team communication, team management, and the ability to produce results.
Effective February 1, 2023: Students applying for Spring 2024 and beyond in the following programs will utilize the New Graduate Application Portal – M.B.A., M.H.A., M.S. in Child Life, M.S. in Child Development, and Ph.D. in Child Development and Early Education. All other programs, and those programs above wishing to start Summer or Fall 2023, will continue with the ApplyTexas application. Please contact the Office of Admissions with any questions at 940-898-3188 or email@example.com.
All students must meet the University requirements as outlined in the Admission to the TWU Graduate School section of the catalog.
This academic program may have additional admission criteria that must also be completed as outlined on the program's website.
Total Semester Credit Hours Required
36-45 Semester credit hours (SCH).
- Students should complete ACCT 5433, prior to enrolling in FIN 5243.
- Students must have successfully completed ACCT 5433 , FIN 5243 , MGT 5263 , MGT 5663, and MKT 5133 before attempting MGT 5893 . (In earlier catalogs these courses used the BUS prefix).
- MGT 5893 is the Capstone course in the M.B.A. program and focuses on executive-level decision-making that guides the organization in its interactions with the internal and external environments. It involves synthesis of the various functional silos of the business discipline and comprehensive business case analysis for proposed or actual companies.
|Proficiency Courses (may be waived)||0-9|
|Foundations in Business|
|Foundations of Financial Management|
|Required Courses for M.B.A. major|
|ACCT 5433||Managerial Accounting||3|
|BUS 5923||Global Business||3|
|BUS 5933||Business Ethics and Legal Environment||3|
|FIN 5243||Managerial Finance||3|
|MGT 5263||Organizational Behavior in Business Administration||3|
|MGT 5663||Decision Analysis for Managers||3|
|MKT 5133||Marketing Management||3|
|MGT 5893||Business Strategy and Policy (Capstone, must be taken in final semester.)||3|
|Required Courses for emphasis in Sport Management|
|KINS 5113||Professional Internship in Sport Management||3|
|KINS 5403||Leadership Theory and Practice in Sport and the Health Sciences||3|
|KINS 5423||Governance, Policy Development, and Ethics in Sport||3|
|KINS 5493||Sport Venue and Event Management||3|