Post-Master's Certificate in School Librarianship
The Post-Master's Certificate in School Librarianship provides an opportunity for students to pursue a specialty in School Librarianship. The School Librarian Certification (SLC) program offered by the TWU School of Library and Information Studies meets all requirements of the State of Texas State Board of Educator Certification for certification in public schools in Texas. The certification program is available entirely online.
Requirements for School Librarian Certification (SLC)
- An official record of two-year classroom teaching in an accredited school to enter the SLC program;
- Upon admission to SLIS, communicate with the Office of Educator Preparation Services at 940-898-2829, or email Linda Kobler at email@example.com regarding additional required documentation for the College of Professional Education (COPE) Professional Certification program;
- Submission of the following documents by the end of the first semester:
- a signed Code of Ethics document,
- a degree plan if the student is in the MLS degree program, and
- a SLC checklist;
- Completion of the Master of Library Science degree, unless the student has a prior Master’s degree in another discipline;
- Completion of at least 15 hours of coursework, excluding practicum, in the SLC program at TWU after the official entry date to the SLC program;
- Completion of a practicum of 160 hours according to the SLC practicum guideline; and
- Successful completion of the TExES examination.
For additional requirements for Professional Certification, contact the Office of Educator Preparation Services at 940-898-2829.
Criteria for TExES Examination
For TWU to recommend a student as a school librarian, that student must have taken the required school library courses. Students in the state of Texas must pass the TExES examination. In order for a student to be given approval to take the TExES exam, the student must have taken or be near completion of 18 hours of School Librarian Certification required coursework, including LS 5233, LS 5333, and LS 5443. Fifteen of those hours must have been completed at TWU. TWU is not responsible for the acceptance of its degree or courses by other states.
Post-Master's Certificate in School Librarianship Program of Study (24 semester credit hours)
|Required Library Science Courses|
|LS 5083||Foundations of Library and Information Studies||3|
|LS 5233||Multimedia Resources and Services||3|
|LS 5003||Collection Development||3|
|LS 5103||Cataloging and Classification||3|
|LS 5603||Literature for Children and Young Adults||3|
|LS 5333||School Library Media Center||3|
|LS 5443||Librarians as Instructional Partners||3|
If pursuing the Post-Master's Certificate in School Librarianship as part of the M.L.S. degree, see the School Librarian Certification information on the SLIS website.
Out-of-State students seeking School Librarian Certification, see the SLIS website.