Texas Woman's University awards more than $10 million in scholarships annually, which includes merit-based, departmental, endowed, and need-based scholarships. Scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until funding is exhausted. All scholarships and amounts listed are subject to budgetary consideration and may be changed at any time without previous notice. Please refer to our Scholarships page for up-to-date information.
- To be considered for General Academic Merit Scholarships, undergraduate students must have been admitted to TWU as degree-seeking students. No scholarship application is required for these scholarships.
- We encourage all students to submit the FAFSA/TASFA and apply for all other scholarship opportunities each academic year. The Pioneer Scholarship System accepts applications after July 1. Students do not need to be admitted to apply for scholarships.
Please follow these steps to apply
- Scholarship applicants must first apply for admission to Texas Woman's University (TWU) through Apply Texas.
- Applicants must create a Pioneer Portal account before applying to the Pioneer Scholarship System. Sign in using the Pioneer Portal username and password.
- Complete the General Application and submit to be auto-matched for all individualized recommended scholarship opportunities.
- Review and complete all recommended opportunity applications for which you may be qualified before each deadline. Failure to complete applications in a timely manner will remove students from additional scholarship consideration.
- Scholarship offers are subject to timely acceptance in the Pioneer Scholarship System.
- To be considered for scholarships, students must have all required admission applications and academic transcripts processed by the TWU Admission's Office or Graduate Admission's Office before the application deadline. Please note that documents take time to process and be entered into the system.
- No offers can be sent prior to admission.
- Enroll in the minimum credit hours required of each scholarship (minimum of twelve credit hours for undergraduates for full-time enrollment, nine credit hours for graduates; minimum of six credit hours for undergraduates for part-time enrollment, five credit hours for graduates.) The majority of our scholarships require full-time enrollment.
- For renewable scholarships, students must meet the minimum requirements as stated on their scholarship offer letter. As long as requirements are met, scholarships are automatically renewed after grades are audited at the end of the spring semester (May 20).
- Failure to meet minimum GPA requirements may cause the scholarship to be canceled.
- Failure to meet minimum enrollment requirements may cause the scholarship to be canceled.
- Typically, renewable scholarships may be held for a total of:
- four years or completion of degree for first-time-in-college students,
- two to three years for transfer students (depending on number of hours transferred),
- two years for master's students,
- three years for MFA students,
- three years for doctoral students.
- All award notifications are sent to the student's TWU email account.
- Awards must be accepted through the Pioneer Scholarship System, including Post-Acceptance questions (if applicable). Scholarships will not post to student accounts until these steps are completed.
- Scholarship awards are made in the Fall and Spring semesters, unless otherwise stated.
- Scholarships will post as anticipated aid and will disburse to student accounts after minimum enrollment requirements have been determined.
Entering First-Time Graduate Student Scholarships
All Graduate Student Scholarships require an application. Our Pioneer Scholarship System accepts applications starting July 1. Although there is no deadline to apply for New Graduate Student Scholarships, scholarships for eligible graduate students are awarded on a first-come first-served basis until all funding is exhausted. Unless otherwise stated on the application, all other scholarships have a deadline to apply of March 15.
New Graduate Student Scholarships
Awards are $2,500 per year for full-time students (nine credit hours or more) and $1,000 for part-time students (six to eight credit hours). This scholarship is automatically renewable for up to two years for Master's students and up to three years for Doctoral students as long as the recipient maintains a 3.2 or higher cumulative grade point average and all other scholarship requirements. Only students who will be starting their graduate work at TWU for the first time are eligible to apply for this scholarship. This scholarship is awarded on the basis of cumulative grade point average and academic discipline.
McNair Scholars Scholarship
Several awards of $2,500 per year will be made to new graduate students who were undergraduate McNair Scholars. These awards are renewable as described in the New Graduate Student Scholarship section. Applicants must provide a letter of verification from their McNair advisor to the Dean of the TWU Graduate School.
InnovateHER Entrepreneurial Scholarship
The InnovateHER Entrepreneurial Scholarship program (formerly Minerva Entrepreneurial Scholarship) helps graduate, post-baccalaureate, and undergraduate women foster the spirit of entrepreneurship and become future business owners. This scholarship provides $2,500 per academic year. Eligible recipients may continue for a maximum of two years (pending state funding) for a potential total value of $5,000.
TWU Alumni Association Scholarships
These scholarships are not restricted to TWU alumni. Each year, the Alumni Association, through its Scholarship Program Committee, oversees the awarding of these scholarships to qualified students. Qualifications are rigorous and competition is keen. Selection of recipients is based on the scholarship application available in the Pioneer Scholarship System, academic merit, and recommendation letters. Amounts vary and scholarships do not renew automatically. Students may reapply each academic year to be considered.
Other Scholarships for New and Returning Graduate Students
Mary Bryan and Tom C. Reitch Scholarship
Awards are $1,500 per year. This scholarship is available to new entering students and current TWU students. Awards are based upon academic standing and financial need. Applicants may be required to complete an essay explaining financial need or hardship through the online scholarship application to be eligible for this scholarship. This is a one-year scholarship and students awarded this scholarship must apply for it every year to be considered.
There are hundreds of endowment scholarships that are awarded each year. Each academic department and the TWU Alumni Foundation has scholarship funds available to award. Departmental awards are selected through the Pioneer Scholarship System. After applying for admission to the university, each student must complete the TWU online application prior to the March 15th deadline to be considered. The online system will help you identify scholarships to which you most closely match the criteria and eligibility requirements.