Texas Woman's University awards more than $10 million in scholarships annually which includes merit based, departmental, endowed, and need based scholarships.
- Scholarship applicants must first apply for admission to Texas Woman's University (TWU) through Apply Texas.
- Applicants must create a Pioneer Portal account before applying to the TWU Online Scholarship Application System. Sign in using your pioneer portal login and password.
- The priority deadline is March 15th for fall and spring semester. The online system identifies all scholarships for which each student is eligible to apply.
- Complete the general application and submit to be auto-matched for scholarships.
- After the general application is complete, press the "opportunities" button and review "recommended opportunities". These are scholarships you must manually apply for in the system. The TWU General Scholarship Committee is responsible for the selection of the new and continuing scholarship recipients.
- Scholarships will be discontinued any time a recipient withdraws from TWU or fails to meet requirements regarding academic progress, or attends less than full-time each long term.
- Scholarship offers are subject to timely acceptance in the scholarship system.
To be considered for scholarships, students must meet the following criteria:
- Have all required admission applications and academic transcripts in the TWU Admission's Office or Graduate Admission's Office by the application deadline
- Enroll full-time (minimum of 12 hours for undergraduate, 9 hours for graduate students and 6 hours for part-time graduate students or graduate assistants)
Students may apply for an exception if:
- The student is graduating at the end of the semester of the award
- The student's degree program requires less than full-time enrollment (Example: Clinicals, student teaching, thesis, dissertation, or professional paper)
- The scholarship description permits part-time enrollment
- All award notifications are sent to your TWU email account
- The awards must be accepted online, then the funds will be transmitted to your Financial Aid account
- Scholarship awards are made in the Fall and Spring semester
Entering First-Time Graduate Student Scholarships
New Graduate Student Scholarships
Awards are $2,500.00 per year for full-time students (nine credit hours or more) and $1,000.00 for part-time students (six to eight credit hours). This scholarship is automatically renewable for up to two years for Master's students and up to three years for Doctoral students as long as the recipient maintains a 3.2 or higher cumulative grade point average. Only students who will be starting their graduate work at TWU for the first time are eligible to apply for this scholarship. This scholarship is awarded on the basis of cumulative grade point average and academic discipline.
McNair Scholars Scholarship
Several awards of $2,500.00 per year will be made to new graduate students who were undergraduate McNair Scholars. These awards are renewable as described in the New Graduate Student Scholarship section. Applicants must provide a letter of verification from their McNair advisor to the Dean of the TWU Graduate School.
Entering International Student Scholarships
These scholarships are awarded to new entering graduate international students. Awards are $2,000 per year and can be automatically renewed for up to two years for Master students and three years for Doctoral students. These scholarships will be renewed as long as the student maintains immigration status and is enrolled full-time (minimum of 9 credit hours). They must also maintain a 3.2 grade point average. This scholarship is awarded on the basis of cumulative grade point average and academic discipline.
Center for Women in Business (Minerva Scholar)
The Center for Women in Business awards up to $1,000 in scholarships to graduate students who have successfully completed a minimum of 40 credit hours and are interested in becoming business owners. Students selected for this award will become part of the Minerva Scholar Program which provides opportunities to learn what it takes to become a successful business owner through workshops, consulting, seminars, events, networking and competitions. The scholarship can be used to help pay for Texas Woman's University tuition and fees and may be awarded for a total of two consecutive years. Minerva Scholars must remain in good academic standing and participate in required co-curricular activities in order to receive the second year of funding.
Other Scholarships for New and Returning Graduate Students
Mary Bryan and Tom C. Reitch Scholarship
Awards are $1,500.00 per year. This scholarship is available to new entering students and current TWU students. Awards are based upon academic standing and financial need. Applicants may be required to complete an essay explaining financial need or hardship through the online scholarship application to be eligible for this scholarship. This is a one year scholarship and students awarded this scholarship must apply for it every year to be considered.
There are hundreds of endowment scholarships that are awarded each year. Each academic department and the TWU Alumni Foundation has scholarship funds available to award. Departmental awards are selected through the TWU Online Scholarship application. After applying for admission to the university, each student must complete the TWU online application prior to the March 15th deadline to be considered. The online system will help you identify scholarships to which you most closely match the criteria and eligibility requirements.