The Post-Master's Certificate in School Librarianship provides an opportunity for students to pursue a specialty in School Librarianship. The School Librarian Certification (SLC) program offered by the TWU School of Library and Information Studies meets all requirements of the State of Texas State Board of Educator Certification for certification in public schools in Texas. The certification program is available entirely online.
Defined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's 60x30 Strategic Plan as, "Those skills valued by employers that can be applied in a variety of work settings, including interpersonal, cognitive, and applied skills areas. These skills can be either primary or complementary to a major and are acquired by students through education, including curricular, co-curricular, and extracurricular activities."
- Apply professional competencies in acquiring, organizing, delivering, and preserving information and knowledge.
- Demonstrate evidence-based practice in professional decision-making.
- Plan for community-embedded services to meet the needs of diverse constituencies.
- Apply technologies to meet information needs in a variety of contexts.
- Disseminate professional knowledge through venues such as teaching, research, publication, and service activities.
- Plan for continuous, career-long professional development.
All students must meet the University requirements as outlined in the Admission to the TWU Graduate School section of the catalog.
This academic program may have additional admission criteria that must also be completed as outlined on the program's website.
Total Semester Credit Hours Required
24 semester credit hours (SCH).
|Required Library Science Courses|
|LS 5083||Foundations of Library and Information Studies||3|
|LS 5233||Multimedia Resources and Services||3|
|LS 5003||Collection Development||3|
|LS 5103||Cataloging and Classification||3|
|LS 5603||Literature for Children and Young Adults||3|
|LS 5333||School Library Media Center||3|
|LS 5443||Librarians as Instructional Partners||3|
If pursuing the Post-Master's Certificate in School Librarianship as part of the M.L.S. degree, see the School Librarian Certification information on the SLIS website.
For Out-of-State students seeking School Librarian Certification, see the SLIS website.