Grades and Gradepoints

The number of gradepoints given for each grade earned by a student is determined as follows:

Grade Description
Grade A: 4 times as many gradepoints as semester credit hours
Grade B: 3 times as many gradepoints as semester credit hours
Grade C: 2 times as many gradepoints as semester credit hours
Grade D: 1 time as many gradepoints as semester credit hours
Grade F: No gradepoints. Semester credit hours are counted; thus the grade is punitive.
Grade FN: No grade points. F grade due to never attending. (Official transcript will reflect a grade of F).
Grade FS: No grade points. F grade due to having stopped attending. (Official transcript will reflect a grade of F).
Grade W: Withdrew. No gradepoints.
Grade I: No gradepoints.
Grade CR: Credit for semester credit hours earned, but no gradepoints.
Grade PR: No semester credit hours or gradepoints.
Grade X: No gradepoints, non-punitive.
Grade NG: No gradepoints, non-punitive.
Grade LP: Lack of adequate Progress. No semester credit hours or gradepoints.
Grade NP: No Progress. No semester credit hours or gradepoints.

Grades are interpreted as: A, Excellent; B, Good; C, Average; D, Inferior; F, Failure; CR, Credit; PR, In progress (normally used for dissertation, thesis, professional paper, practicums, or internships); I, Incomplete; W, Withdrew from the course without penalty; X, No credit due to tuition deficiency; and NG, No grade awarded. For thesis and dissertation courses, LP indicates a lack of adequate progress on the thesis or dissertation, and NP indicates no progress made on the thesis or dissertation. (An LP or NP grade could have an impact on Financial Aid awards.) The letters “REP” following the grade indicate repeated coursework. The best grade is counted for repeated coursework and GPA.

Master’s students should consult the section of the catalog related to their specific degree to determine whether grades of C may be included in a degree plan. In no case may a grade below C be included on a master’s degree plan. Doctoral students may include no grade below B on a degree plan.

Incomplete Grades

An Incomplete (I) grade is appropriate only when a student has passing grades in 2/3 of assigned work but, because of extenuating circumstances, cannot complete all of the coursework by the end of the semester/term. Extenuating circumstances include:

  1. Incapacitating illness that prevents a student from attending classes;
  2. A death in the immediate family;
  3. Change in work schedule as required by an employer; or
  4. Other emergencies deemed appropriate by the instructor.

A grade of Incomplete should not be requested nor given for lack of completion of work because of procrastination or dissatisfaction with the grade earned.

Under the conditions above, the student may petition the instructor for time beyond the end of the semester/term to finish the coursework. The instructor, the student, and the department chair (or equivalent) of the academic department in which the course is offered must complete and sign the Application for Grade of Incomplete form, which is available in the Office of the Registrar. If clinical or laboratory work remains to be completed, the department or program must certify that the student can successfully complete such work by the assigned completion date.

Specific arrangements to remove the grade of Incomplete must be made between the instructor and the student. The instructor will also specify that if the work is not completed by the assigned time, a grade of B, C, D, or F will replace the Incomplete on the student’s transcript. If the student completes the required work by the assigned completion date, the instructor will submit the new grade to the Office of the Registrar.  

In most instances, the work to be completed should be finished within the first several weeks following the end of the semester/term in which the Incomplete was given. The maximum time allowed to finish the coursework is one calendar year. If no grade change is submitted by the designated completion date (or one calendar year), the default grade listed on the Application for Grade Incomplete form will be applied to the course and will be reflected in the student's academic standing at that time.

Incomplete work cannot be finished by attending or retaking the class. If such an option is preferred, the student should accept the grade earned and re-enroll in the course with the expectation of earning a better grade. The grade used to compute the student's GPA is the best-earned grade.

Any exceptions to these regulations which describe the use of the grade of Incomplete require the approval of the instructor, the department chair (or equivalent), and the dean or director of the academic unit in which the course was offered.